Thursday, October 17, 2013

Go wide or go home


Narrow or wide, it´s a love hate thing with the E34 crowd. Some guys prefer the classic look of the narrow kidneys and some guys like the later wide look.
Me? I couldn´t have cared less, until browsing the web for E34 pictures i came across a picture one of my favorite E34´s...  

Low and wide, black and looking like it wants to run you down. I loved how the later kidneys looked on this car and wanted to do something similar to mine.

My car currently sports the narrow grille as it came from the factory, but time and careless drivers have not been kind to both hood and grill surround, but decided that they were too far gone to be worth repairing. 

I spent some time trying to track down a wide hood/grill with no luck. The ones i did find were too far away and that made shipping them an expensive proposition, so i let things be.

When my SO mentioned to me that her co-worker had an old BMW that he needed gone fast I jumped into action.

Much to my delight the "old" BMW ended up being a ´95 525 tds  sporting the wide grill which i had pined for.  It had recently been brought over from Germany and the owner needed to be rid of it asap, as in it was going to the scrapper. I offered to take the hood off his hands and any other little bits I might need.

The donor


With the wide hood conversion found and the recently added blacked out headlamps my car is finally on it´s way to being just how i imagined it. So stay tuned for more updates and pictures!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment