Thursday, September 26, 2013

The search begins

I´ve been a fan of older BMW´s for a few years now (mainly E30´s) but i´ve never really liked their larger offerings, thinking them bloated and lacking in the sportiness afforded by their smaller brethren. But when i had an encounter with a lamp post that laid up my 318is for a few months i decided i needed something larger, slightly more modern and with A/C.

As i began my search my choice of likely candidates grew even smaller. I needed something big enough to haul my dog, current significant other and my belongings in comfort. I also needed to stay within budget.

Enter the BMW 5 series. But which one? The E60 was out of my price range, too modern and too run of the mill. The E39 too rounded and bloated for my taste. The E34 fell neatly into my budget and ticked most of the boxes, but i could n´t get over how much it looked like an old person´s car.

Not wanting to rack my meager brain over having to make a decision i stopped looking and pursued other interests...mainly women and drink.

Not long after i came back to the search after stumbling onto a BMW forum and seeing some pictures of a beautifully modified E34. Slightly lowered, blacked-out headlamps, BBS type wheels and the glossiest paint i had ever seen, surely this did n´t look like something an octogenarian would drive.

I dug back into the classifieds with renewed vigor and found...junk. Everything i ran across looked like it had survived (just barely) some civil war or had been used to haul chickens cross country.

Now despondent that i would never find what i was looking for, i came across an ad that caught my attention, ´93 BMW 525i for SALE in good shape. I had found my car...

No comments:

Post a Comment